Sunday, January 6, 2008

Knitting on the Bias, Part 1

I love knitting on the bias, mostly because you don't have to worry about gauge. Start with one stitch, add a stitch on the next row, and another stitch on the next row, and just keep going till you've got the width you want. Then increase at one edge and decrease at the other till you've got the length you want, and finally decrease at both edges till you're back down to a single stitch. At which point, you're done!

The first bias project I ever made was a purple baby blanket, which I ended up donating to Romanian relief efforts. This was followed up by a bias-knit cotton dish cloth. (Note to self: handknit dishcloths aren't durable enough for use on pots and pans.)

Next I made a bias-knit garter-stitch pillow out of Lion Brand Fun Fur for the loveseat in my bedroom.



I knit the front only, since the back will never show, and sewed it onto a muslin pillowcase. It adds just the right contrasting texture to all the lacy pillows surrounding it.

There's a story about the Bye-Lo Baby that I'll share with you next time around.

No comments: