Sunday, January 6, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I created this blog so I'd have a convenient place to post what I've been doing in the world of crafts and fashion dolls. It's a spin-off of my Fashion Doll Dreams website.

These days, I'm more interested in creating people clothes than doll clothes. It's still fun to create the occasional doll outfit, though. My latest doll creation was the dress for Furga Simona that I knit back in December '06.


It was partly inspired by the famous Yves St. Laurent "Mondrian" colorblock dress, partly by Francie's vintage "Quick Shift" pink-and-green jumper, and partly by the wonderful Kool Wool merino blend yarn I found on clearance at JoAnn's. I remember the days when fuschia, olive, and cream were considered a delightfully shocking combination of colors, so daring, so untraditional, so innovative--so totally mod.

At the same time, I was knitting this little three-quarter sleeve sweater from the same yarn, for the same doll:



I decorated it freehand with scraps of needlepoint wool. I also have purple wool fabric to make the matching skirt, if I ever get around to it.

Kool Wool is an amazingly soft, vivid wool blend with a ropey look, sort of like thick chenille. On closer inspection, however, it's a six-ply yarn, which I painstakingly untwisted down to a single fine strand of fingering weight to make my doll clothes. Unfortunately, Lion has discontinued Kool Wool. Bummer. I'd love to make myself a sweater out of it. It's chunky enough to knit up quickly, but very lightweight in proportion to its bulk.



The doll dress and sweater are my original knitting patterns, and sorry, they're not available right now. If there's enough interest, I'll consider transcribing them and offering them for sale.

No comments: