Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Mystery

My parents gave me this reproduction bisque Bye-Lo Baby for Christmas when I was about thirteen. It's one of the childhood dolls I've managed to hang on to all these years.



After I bought a loveseat for my bedroom, I added a row of pillows across the back, and then nestled the doll into the pillows for a final decorative accent.

From time to time, though, I'd come into the room and find the doll folded over in half, face down. I always assumed that it was toppling over from its own weight. I would straighten it back up again, making sure it was firmly in place each time. But it never stayed up. Mysterious.

Then one day I saw my cat (who shall be known on this blog as Sauron) come into the room and jump up on the loveseat to take a nap. Sauron started to settle down, but then noticed the doll staring, unblinkingly, right at him. He reached out a wary paw to the doll, as if to ward off an attack. That's when I realized that it was Sauron who'd been flipping the doll face down so he could snooze without being stared at!

Mystery solved. Sometimes I still find my doll face-down. It has never yet attacked Sauron, but Sauron isn't taking any chances.

No comments: