Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Winter '08 Projects

Right now I'm working on a bias-knit sweater, which I'll explain in Bias Knitting, Part 2. I hope to be done with that in a couple of weeks.

When it's finished, I'm looking forward to knitting Celeste Culpepper's Teardrop Scarf from the Fall 07 issue of Knitscene. I don't care for any of the other patterns in that issue (too young and strange for me) but that scarf is a must-have. I'll make one for myself, and one to put away for DD's next birthday.

First step was choosing yarn and beads. For DD, who limits most of her wardrobe to black or dark blue, I've chosen "Fino" lace-weight baby alpaca and silk in a dark denim-y blue. So soft! The beads are navy with an iridescent finish that this photo doesn't do justice to. The beads are left over from an earlier project, but they just happen to match this yarn beautifully. I love it when my stash cooperates with my new plans that way.



For my own scarf, I'm using lavendar silk from Kaalund Yarns. I haven't bought beads yet, but I'll probably go with white teardrops with a frosted finish. The blue Bernat Baby yarn next to it is for a doll project.


The next step is to wait patiently for my Knitscene to show up in the mail. This will be a problem, seeing as how all the mailboxes in my neighborhood were stolen this weekend, and the ground is frozen too solid to put in a new one. (Yes, I've reported the theft to the postmaster, the county sheriff, and the local recycling network.) The roads are too snowy to drive into town to get the mail right now.

I won't be buying yarn for any more new projects till I finish these. I most emphatically don't believe that, "She who dies with the biggest stash, wins."

No comments: